Friday, November 11, 2011

Night Photography & Light Painting

My good friend Pete Michael and myself are looking forward to our up coming trip down Route 66. We will be starting in St. Louis, Mo. and hope to reach Flagstaff, Arizona, before heading home. We are planning on doing several types of photography and video during this trip. We decided that light painting would be something that we will use out west, so we went over to Rankin Bottoms, near Newport, to do a little practicing. My results are to the right. I felt like that was satisfactory for my first attempt. but alot more practice is in order. To light this tree at night, I opened the shutter and painted this tree with light using a large flashlight. The shutter remained open in, bulb mode, for over 2 minutes. The full moon rising was a pleasant surprise. It was really fun and I displayed a lot of patience :)  We are planning to do some long exposure photography and some panoramas during our trip too.  I will report from the road at every opportunity. Happy Shooting!  Crutch

1 comment:

  1. Yes.
    Steve,Chuck Hale here..In the navy we used painted light to illuminate small and large items that would be submitted for repair.Their is a formula that I will try and look up for you that will give repeatible results every time..
    ch

    ReplyDelete